By Susan Wright, Executive Director
The Media Outreach Program does media advocacy for kink and non-monogamy. Our Board Member, Justin Golden, created a program that automated the formatting our Media Update Digests, and he sends them out on the 1st and 15th of the month. This allows us to create a more impactful email.
NCSF staff members gave 24 interviews to media outlets and podcasts in 2020, compared to 29 and 30 interviews in 2019 and 2018. Some media outlets were: NPR, NY Times, Psychology Today and VICE.
In 2020, NCSF posted our Statement on Diversity and Inclusion, and resources to deal with the pandemic in The Check Box: We are not Prurient and Advocacy in the Time of COVID-19. Along with the Quarterly Newsletters and 21 announcements:
- We broadcast a press release that Metamour Day is February 28th through PR Newswire that was published on 141 websites.
- We posted about member programs and volunteer opportunities including NCSF’s Members Insurance Program and the Ombuds Committee is Seeking Volunteers.
- We announced that NCSF was the Proud Sponsor of PolyDallas Millennium 2020 and the Consent is BAE: Poly Cultural Diversity Alliance (PCDA) Virtual Consent Summit.
NCSF posted 8 Guest Blogs in 2020, including Thinking About Expanding Your Polyamorous Quaranteam? by Libby Sinback and Canada Defines Love—Exclusively by Eve Rickert and Carrie Jenkins.
Media Crisis Assistance
Naughty in N’awlins got international coverage when 41 people caught Covid-19 during his event. Our Media Outreach Program assisted after the public exposure to help minimize the fallout.
NCSF’s social media stats at the end of 2020:
- NCSF announcement list on Constant Contact – 7,486 contacts, up from 7,121
- Facebook – 6,229 followers, up from 5,760
- Twitter – 11,300, up from 10,700
- NCSF News on FetLife – 6,337 members, up from 5,902
- Consent Counts on FetLife – 2,732 members, up from 2,539
- Instagram – 946 followers, up from 356